Sunday, June 30, 2013

Woohoo! I did it.

Ok, anxiety over nothing this time.  I was a little anxious last night and this morning getting everything ready, but I did it!!  My first PIO since my last pregnancy is done.  I knew I could do it, because I've given myself well over 100 of these things over the last couple of years, but none the less, the first one is always the hardest.  That needle is intimidating!


The needle on the right is the draw needle, the one on the left is the one to inject with.

I got everything laid out and ready.  I printed my cross, so that I would remember where I'm supposed to inject.  So many people think it's so far back, but it's really closer to the side.  It is the upper, outer quadrant of the hip.  The cross works perfect.  I did this the first couple of times my last journey too until I got accustomed to the spot without it.  I just inserted a shape into a word document, printed it and cut it out.  See, #1 below for the final result.  Then I drew a line with a pen along the edges (doesn't have to be perfect), but I then have a better idea and I can do the same on the other side next time.

Oldest DS was nice enough to take all the pictures for me (except for the cross, that was DH).  He always does such a great job and I'm so blessed they are so supportive. 
 

               
Lay out all the materials                                                 #1 - Place cross.  Line up the horizontal
                                                                                          line with crack.(sorry, no better way to
                                                                                          describe it) Then just put the vertical
                                                                                          line in the middle.


        
#2 - Clean the top of the bottle.                             #3 - Clean the area you will inject. 
                                                                                Go in a circle, starting in the middle and go out.


     
#4 - Draw meds, then switch out the needles.    #5 - Inject needle - Make sure to relax
                                                                            the leg on the side you are injecting into.
                                                                            This will help keep the muscle relaxed.


    
#6 - Aspirate                                                     #7 - Inject meds.  I inject them very slowly.
                                                                          This helps with lumps.  For .5 mL, I usually
                                                                          count to 10-15 and for 1 mL, to 20-30.

I tried not to let myself think about it too much, because I knew then I would have a harder time doing it.  I did forget to have the heating pad ready to heat up the meds and then apply for a short time afterward, so had to re-clean everything before actually doing the injection.  I always heat up the meds before drawing it up because PIO is very thick and heating it makes it inject a little more smoothly.
 

Also, after I finish the injection, I massage the area and then put the heating pad on the spot for about 10 minutes or so.  Don't let it sit too long, because you don't want to warm your body up too much. 
 
 
Everything went great and I only hope the others are the same.  ; )  One down, 90 or so more to go.  hehe
 
 
I also start my other meds today.  I will be adding Medrol, Azithromycin and Prometrium in addition to my existing Aspirin, Estrace and prenatal vitamins.  I will stop Lupron today as well.  Thank goodness for pill boxes, so I can keep it all straight.  5 more sleeps 'til transfer.









No comments:

Post a Comment