Monday, September 16, 2013

Absolutely wonderful day!!

Such a busy, but completely wonderful day!!!  I was off work and got to sleep in a "little".  About an hour, but hey, I'll take it.  Any extra sleep is great.  Our youngest DS broke his ankle several weeks ago and was originally scheduled for a follow up appointment on the 20th.  I ended up having a colleague off that day, so it would be really hard for me to take him.  I was already off for the day for the two baby appointments, so called to see if I could get his appointment rescheduled.  Luckily, I was able to reschedule for today at 9am.  He's had a boot on for a little over 3 weeks and it was a great appointment and he finally got it off.  The Dr. said it actually healed really well and the bone had fused back together, which rarely happens.  He will have an air cast for another 4-6 weeks when he does any physical activity and has to do some physical therapy too to help prevent re-injury.  After I finished at his appointment, I grabbed him some lunch and took him back to school.  I grabbed a sandwich for myself too, but could only eat half of it.
 
After I ate my sandwich, I headed to the airport to pick up "C".  "W" had to work, so wasn't able to make it, but hoping he will be able to come up for the next one.  I picked her up and we headed to the Perinatologist's office.  It was only about 10 minutes from the airport, so we were there really early.  I knew there would be some paperwork, so it worked out just fine.  We got all the paperwork filled out and got to visit for a while before they called us back.  "C" gave me a gift.  It was so sweet!  She gave me some soaps that look like macaroons and a gift card to Loft.  It was such a thoughtful gift and I'm so grateful.  The interesting thing is that I was looking at their maternity stuff on line last night. 
 
 
 
I think we were both excited, anxious and nervous all at the same time.  It has been 5 weeks since our last ultrasound, so we were both ready to see the baby again.  I was so excited for her to see the baby today because he/she would really look more like a baby.  The nurse called us back and we headed to the room.  I told her about my "retroverted" uterus, so she had me go ahead and undress from the waist down in case they needed to do a vaginal ultrasound to get the measurements they needed.  They had a nice big sheet to put over, so no worries.  The Dr. came in and tried to traditional ultrasound first and it actually worked.  I had my camera, so I recorded the whole thing.  As soon as he started, I watched the screen so intently for that HB flicker or the smallest movement.  I saw the baby kicking and just felt so relieved.  Knowing the baby is good and we are now in the 2nd trimester made me feel so good.  I had been feeling a few flutters for a week or two, but it's so early, I just wanted that reassurance and I'm sure "C" did too.  The baby was kicking and the Dr. pointed out all the parts.....legs, arms, face, eyes, etc.  He tried to see if he could tell the sex, but he said he couldn't really see anything, which he said means it could be a girl or a boy.  ; )  That works out just fine for "C" because she doesn't want to know just yet anyway.  "W" wants to know, so if the Dr. could tell, they were just going to put it in an envelope for them.  I did have to ask him to listen to the HB, which he so nicely obliged.  I recorded that too, so that I could send it to C & W.  Such a great appointment! 
 





Profile with hand to face.




Profile with kicking legs.

Face - Yes it looks like a skeleton at this point, but you can see the eyes and nose pretty easily.

 
 
After our appointment, we discussed grabbing something to eat, but figured we would just go ahead and drive over to my OB and see if we could get in early there too.  I wasn't really hungry yet after the half sandwich I ate and had a granola bar I could snack on in the car anyway, so that would tide me over.  "C" said she wasn't really hungry either.  The offices were only about a 30 minute drive apart, so we ended up at the OB's office around 2:30.  We had such great conversation in the car on the way there and then when we were waiting to be called back for the appointment.  We talked about nursery themes and if she thought they could hold out on knowing the sex.  I told her I would be happy to hang onto the envelope for them if she didn't think it would stay sealed.  ; )
 
When we arrived the Office Manager was up front training someone and I introduced her to "C".  The other front desk person was there too and I introduced her too.  They are all so nice every time and it doesn't seem like that long since I was there last, but it's been over a year since my postpartum visit.  The entire staff is so friendly and supportive and I hope they made feel "C" as comfortable as I thought they did.  After about 30 minutes, we were called back.  Not too bad.  I weighed first and then had to provide a urine sample, which is done at every appointment.  They check for protein in it to make sure everything is going well.  Weight was good and blood pressure was great too.  114/70.  I absolutely love Dr. B and she was so sweet.  She came in and was so nice to "C" too.  She did a cervical check and asked how everything was going.  She asked me if I had any questions and then asked "C" if she had any questions.  She asked her a couple of questions and then we were all done. 
 
We headed out and when we were a little out the door, I remembered I needed to get my parking ticket validated.  LOL!  I had put it in my purse, so had forgotten about it.  We got to the elevator (which was SO slow) and the first time it came around, it was completely full.  The 2nd time, it only had one person, so we headed down to the car.  It was around 4pm and "C"s flight wasn't until 8:45, so we thought we would go ahead and grab an early dinner since we were both getting hungry at this point.  We decided to eat at La Madeleine.  I hadn't eaten there in forever and neither had "C", so it was a great option. 
 
We got our food and sat down.  It was nice to just relax for a bit.  We continued our conversation and it was so nice to visit with her about so many different things.  We talked about babies, mums, what my kids were up to, their family and tons of other stuff.  We finished eating around 5pm and headed back to the airport.  I couldn't have asked for a better visit and was so glad she was able to come and spend the day with me.  They are going to make such wonderful parents!!!
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment